Owen Pugh & Co Ltd was founded in 1946 specialising in construction plant hire. During the 1960′s and 1970′s, the business developed into earthmoving contracting and then demolition.
In 2000, Owen Pugh Aggregates Ltd acquired Marsden Quarry from Tilcon, producing quarried aggregates and agricultural limestone. In 2006 the company began the inert landfill operation within the Quarry as part of the quarry restoration plan. In addition, planning permission has now been granted to allow the commencement of recycling operations, to recycle suitable inert waste creating recycled aggregates.
In 2005 the Group was acquired from the Pugh family in a management buy-out, and re-organised to bring the operating companies under the umbrella of Owen Pugh Holdings Ltd.
Owen Pugh Contracts Ltd undertakes earthmoving and demolition subcontracting, Owen Pugh & Co Ltd provides operated construction plant hire, haulage and construction industry training and Owen Pugh Aggregates Ltd provides aggregates, lime and landfill as above.
In 2008, Owen Pugh Holdings Ltd acquired the Graydon Dawson Group, creating Owen Pugh GDC Ltd and adding groundworks and drainage contracting to the group portfolio.
In 2010, Owen Pugh Holdings acquired HCS Drain Services Ltd, adding specialist sewer cleansing and drain surveying to the group portfolio.
In 2011, Owen Pugh Holdings established a new division, Owen Pugh Construction, to provide its clients a Main Contractor service which delivers innovative civil engineering construction, infrastructure services including road and bridge construction, marine and coastal works, industrial facilities and office parks, urban renewal, environmental improvements, land reclamation and remediation.
In 2016, Owen Pugh Holdings changed the name of Owen Pugh GDC Ltd to Owen Pugh Civil Engineering Ltd, moving all three contracting businesses into this single legal entity. Owen Pugh Civil Engineering Ltd thus delivers a full portfolio of civil engineering, drainage and substructures, earthmoving and demolition services at both main contractor and sub-contractor levels of the supply chain.
The Group currently employs over 400 people and is headquartered in Dudley, Cramlington, with other business centres in Blaydon, Middlesbrough and Marsden Quarry.